Umami Duck Ballotine
Umami duck ballotine, Daikon Pave with wild mushrooms, leek & chestnut purée, duck leg bon bons and smoked blackberries
Created by University of Derby (2018/19)
Stuffed duck ballotine
1 whole duck (use breast and keep skin whole)
30g button mushrooms
20g fresh yeast
2 banana ahallots
1 egg white
200ml double cream
100g butter unsalted
50g wild mushrooms
Duck leg bon bons
(use 2 legs of duck)
150ml red wine
100ml Madeira wine
50g unsalted butter
20g Oyster mushroom
- Dehydrate the yeast, miso, mushrooms, kombu and anchovies. Blitz to form a paste. Add the chestnuts, duck liver and some sweated off shallots to the puree as well as the chopped up herbs.
- Remove the leg meat from the duck and then remove the breast meat. Butterfly both the breasts out and stuff them with the umami and chestnut paste. Roll tightly and wrap in the fat from the rest of the duck.
- Wrap in cling film, sous vide for 45 minutes at 50*c then dry, and pan sear in butter, thyme and garlic. Serve half of each breast per portion.
Duck leg bon bons
- Sear off the duck leg meat with salt and garlic, place in pressure cooker for rest of ingredients, apart from flour egg and panko. After 1 hour, shred the meat and ball into bon bons, pane them in flour, egg and panko then fry.
- Strain and reduce the sauce from the bon bons.
- Heat the cream butter and milk together and season.
- Slice the Daikon thinly and layer a lined in gastro, in between each layer season and pour some of the cream mixture.
- Cook in oven at 160* for 20 minutes -30 minutes.
- Remove from oven when cooked and press down in fridge. Put weights on top to press it.
- Sweat the leeks down, add the garlic and cream and butter.
- Cook till soft and blend with chestnuts.
- Smoke the blackberries for 5-10 minutes.