Asian Sea Bass
Asian spiced marinated sea bass, crisp cumin noodles, pickled chard, mint and goat’s cheese curd
Created by Newcastle College (2018/19)
4 x 100g portions
1 red chilli
white wine vinegar
- Scale and remove the fillets from the seabass, pin bone, portion and score the skin. Refrigerate.
- Prepare all ingredients for the marinate – seed chilli, grate and squeeze lime, peel ginger and garlic, crush lemon grass and remove wood, add coriander stalks and blend to a paste. Spread over the flesh of the bass and marinate in fridge. Do not put marinate on the skin.
- Blend coriander and olive oil with seasoning to create a bright green dressing.
- Bring vinegar, water and sugar to the boil to make a pickling liquor, chill quickly. Cover red chard leaves and refrigerate.
- Blend mint leaf and mix with skinned goats cheese and yoghurt. Ensure a thick consistency.
- Papaya dice.
- Blanche, dry off then deep fry the noodles to make crisp nests, dust with cumin salt.
- Pan fry the bass fillets, ensure the oil is sizzling and seasoned. Turn once.
- To serve, wipe the marinate from the flesh of the bass and quickly pan fry, ensure crisp skin, allow to rest.
- Assemble the noodles, curd, papaya and chard, place the bass on top of the noodles and dress with the coriander oil and nasturtium leaf.