Salted Coconut Mille Feuille
Salted coconut mille feuille, chocolate mousse, coconut ganache, nougatine, coconut crisp
Created by Newcastle College (2018/19)
12 discs puff pastry
Dark chocolate mousse
60g egg yolks
30g caster sugar
200g dark chocolate
300ml whipping cream
100g icing sugar
50g salted coconut
2 drops vanilla essence
50g grated coconut
sugar syrup caramelised (from shard)
200g caster sugar
- Roll out to half thickness, press and blanche bake the pastry sheets, whist warm, cut out 12 discs, top with powdered nougatine. Re press and continue to bake for 5 minutes @ 180C, uncover and cook for a further 5 minutes until golden .
- Whilst these are baking prepare a dry caramel for the sugar shard, shape onto a silicon mat and allow to cool.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water and whisk until the temperature reaches 60C and it has reached the ribbon stage. Melt the chocolate, over a bain marie, not allowing temperature to rise above 45C. Set aside while you whip cream. Whip the cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Fold half the cream into the slightly cooled melted chocolate, then fold in the egg yolk mixture, followed by the remaining cream. Set aside – do not refrigerate at this point. Place half in a piping bag and half in a bowl to rocher.
- Whip the cream and fold in the ricotta and vanilla so the mix stiffens. Fold in the icing sugar and coconut until a firm consistency is achieved. Place a third into a piping bag and retain two thirds in a bowl to rocher.
- To serve, assemble the desserts as per spec….. pastry, mousses, , pastry, mousses, , caramelised pastry lid. Ensure height is consistant. Place onto plate and garnish with the chocolate rocher or coconut cream as appropriate and sugar strand. Dust plate with coconut sugar.