Roasted Breast of Duck
Roasted breast of duck, Shiso braised leg bon bon, fennel purée, heritage carrot, butter roasted baby leek, purple potato, star anise van Jaune jus
Created by Loughborough College (2018/19)
Students: Isabel Morris, Tobias Booty, Kieran Rudolph
Lecturer: Darren Creed
1 whole duck
Leg bon bon
2 tunnel boned legs off the duck
2 punnets Koppert cress shiso
3 star anise
25g five spice
25ml van Jaune
75g flour, seasoned
75g bread crumb
1 bulb fennel
1 clove garlic
1 pint of cream
2 heritage carrots
4 baby leeks
6 purple potatoes
150ml veal stock
75ml van Jaune
1 garlic clove
2 sprigs thyme
- Take the wish bone out of the duck, remove the legs, and tunnel bone the legs.
- Remove the breasts off the carcass, present.
- Put the carcass on a tray in the oven to roast.
- Pressure cook the duck legs for 40 minutes with all of the seasonings.
- Fennel puree- sweat off fennel, onion, garlic then add cream, season, blend then pass.
- Jus- places all the liquids in a pan and reduce by half, sweat off all dry ingredients, then add the wet to the dry to deglaze the pan. Once carcass is roasted add into the Jus. Simmer for 45 minutes and pass.
- Prep, boil and mash the purple potatoes.
- Shred down duck legs, vac pac, freeze for 5 minutes, then shape and pane, deep fry until golden.
- Scrape and clean heritage carrots, drop into salted boiling water 7 minutes before service, glaze with butter.
- Blanch in boiling water for 1 minute, Roast the baby leeks in butter for 5 minutes.
- Dress plate as in photo.