Classic Chocolate Tart
Classic chocolate tart, caramelised banana, pecan crisp, salted popcorn, popcorn sorbet
Created by City of Glasgow College (218/19 winners)
Students: Alan Coats, Ance Kristone, Andreau Talla
Lecturer: Robbie Phillips
500ml double cream
250g golden syrup
10g sorbet/ice cream stabiliser
175g caster sugar
375g plain flour
250ml double cream
225g dark chocolate
60g dark chocolate
50g cocoa powder
75g caster sugar
40g plain flour
75g caster sugar
25g sugar syrup
10g cocoa powder
- Pop the corn.
- Bring all the ingredients to boil.
- Cool down over ice bath.
- Strain the mix.
- Churn and freeze.
- Beat together butter and sugar in Kitchenaid.
- Gradually add eggs.
- Add butter and let the paste come together.
- Transfer onto table, divide the paste in halves.
- Clingfilm and rest in fridge.
- Roll the paste to desired thickness and line the moulds.
- Rest again in fridge.
- Place cling film with baking beans inside.
- Bake @170oC for ~13 minutes, then shave the edges off and continue cooking for further 5 minutes.
- Egg wash the pastry once it’s out of the oven.
- Heat up cream and glucose.
- Pour over chocolate and butter.
- Mix well together.
- Pour in the ready tart cases.
- Set in fridge.
- Melt chocolate and butter together.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Mix dry ingredients with chocolate mixture.
- Place in a tray, bake @160oC for ~15 minutes, stirring every 5.
- Toast and blitz pecans.
- Bring milk, sugar syrup, butter to boil.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Roll the mix between greaseproof sheets, remove the top sheet and bake @180oC for ~7 minutes.
- Cool down and break into shards.