Balsamic Blackberry Duck
Balsamic blackberry duck breast, leg ragu filo, dauphine, beetroot, carrot crumbs
Created by Carlisle College (2018/19)
1 duck (1.3kg – 1.7kg)
1 sheet filo pastry
150ml brown chicken stock
1 sprig thyme
100ml red wine
2 leaves Savoy cabbage
salt and pepper
salt and white pepper
Duck fat dauphine
300g Maris Piper potatoes
50g duck fat
60g plain flour
Balsamic blackberry sauce
300ml brown chicken stock
50ml red wine
500ml vegetable oil
50ml balsamic vinegar
20g redcurrant jelly
85g frozen blackberries
Roast baby beetroot
2 baby beets
1 sprig thyme
1 garlic clove
1/4 pnt pea shoots
- Slice carrots thinly add all ingredients to a pan and sweat down for a couple of minutes, add enough water to just cover the carrots and simmer until cooked.
- Dice potatoes and simmer in water until just cooked.
- Peel beetroot place in a square of oiled tin foil,with 1 garlic clove, 1 sprig of thyme, a splash of water, a small piece of duck skin and seasoning
- Wrap foil up and place in a frying pan.
- Cook in oven 200c 25-30 mins until a knife slides in with little resistance.
- Add a little water to the pan after first 10 mins , to stop them caramelising.
- Remove legs and tunnel bone them.
- Remove wish bone, and breasts.
- Trim silver skin and sinew from meat side of duck breasts, turn over breast and trim fat neatly.
- Score the duck breast fat in a criss cross pattern.
- Cut through the duck legs at the joint area between the thigh and drumstick. Remove the skin from both the thigh pieces place in a cold frying pan and sprinke with a pinch of salt, place in the oven on 180c and cook until completely crispy. Remove from pan and drain on kitchen paper until cold.
- Using the meat from 2 thighs, remove any sinew and tendons and finely chop the thighs.
- Present carcass and trim.
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat add some duck skin to render down.
- Dice a shallot and add to the pan sweat down for 1 min then add the chopped duck meat seal well, and add the garlic clove and thyme sprig. Remove the duck skin and discard.
- Add the red wine and reduce to a syrup.
- Add half the chicken stock and simmer slowly until cooked . Adding more stock as required.
- Trim the veins out of the cabbage leaves and discard.
- Rinse the leaves and pat dry.
- Julienne the leaves into 1cm long strips , and add to the duck pan. Add enough stock to moisten and cook for 2 mins. Chill in blast chiller.
- Strain carrots reserving any cooking liqour. Blend carrots until smooth adding some cooking liqour until desired consistency is reached,Adjust seasoning and keep warm.
- Crush the cooked duck skin to a course grain with enough salt, to season.
- Peel the carrot.
- Using the peeler continue making thin strips from the whole carrot.
- Place on a tray ready to cook.
Duck fat dauphine
- Drain the potatoes well and mash.
- Bring to a simmer, the water, milk, duck fat, salt and sugar, mix in flour and cook 2mins until mix leaves the side of the pan.
- Remove from heat and cool for 5 mins. Beat in the eggs then mix in the mashed potato and season.
- Using a teaspoon,put 8, ½ tsps of mix on to an oiled plate ready for frying.
Balsamic blackberry jus
- In a small saucepan, sweat down the diced shallot for 2 mins without colour.
- Add the red wine to the pan and reduce to a syrup, add the balsamic vinegar to the pan, then pour in the stock, redcurrant jelly and garlic.
- Stir over quite a high heat to blend everything together, simmer then add the blackberries and carry on cooking until they soften.
- Lay 1 sheet of filo on table , cut in half .
- Add half the cooked duck mix to one end of the filo in a cylinder shape aprx 8cm by 1cm.
- Ensuring it is 1cm from each end of the filo.
- Egg wash the filo edges, fold in the ends and roll into a cigar shape . Eggwash the edges .
- Repeat with the other half of the mix.
- To serve , season duck breasts liberally with salt and pepper all over. Place skin side down in a non stick pan cold pan turn up heat to medium and cook until fat renders and skin takes on a crispy golden brown colour. Turn over duck and seal meat side . remove excess fat from pan, turn duck back to skin side down and cook in 200c oven for about 7-8 mins when cooked. Remove from pan and rest.
- Cut the cooked beetroot to desired size. And warm in the oven.
- Cook the filo parcels in the fryer for 2-3 mins, then finish in a hot oven.
- Trim ends of filo parcels and cut on the diagonal.
- Cook the carrot crisps on drain on kitchen paper.
- Cook dauphine potatoes in a hot fryer 180c for 2-3 mins until golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Plate up when ready.