The 2017/2018 Challenge
We require the teams to prepare, cook and present a three-course, three-cover menu within a 90-minute period.
They will be judged on their unique interpretation of the ‘Around the world in three spices’ theme and the taste, presentation, teamwork, seasoning, culinary skills, working methods and the overall balance of the menu.
Around the World in Three Spices
A different fresh or ground spice (single or bespoke blend) must be used in each of the courses demonstrating round the world flavours.
The judges will be looking for:
• Clearly defined aromas, textures and flavours that complement each other within each dish
• The cooking methods chosen should demonstrate knowledge and understanding of which different cooking can be used for different categories of food to extract flavour and great technique
• Practical culinary skills such as boning and filleting – each individual student at heat stages will be expected to show the application of their basic practical culinary skills
• The menu should be balanced overall and the three courses should complement each other
• Dishes should be beautifully presented in a modern style
• Menus must be produced using a budget of £10 per cover (a maximum of £30 worth of ingredients for all three covers)
• Full use of ingredients to minimise waste.
In the practical stages of the Challenge the Judges will also mark the students on the practical demonstration of all these elements as well as their ability to work together as an effective team. The students will also be expected to show their awareness and knowledge of hygiene and food safety within their working methods.
The Winning Team
In addition to taking home the much coveted title, the three students within the victorious team will also win a bespoke set of three essential Chefs knives by chef knife specialists Flint & Flame. A trip to the 2018 Universal Food Festival, Westlands in September 2018 guided throughout the day by various Craft Guild of Chefs leading chef & ambassadors. This trip will include one night’s accomodation and dinner at Michelin starred restaurant Simpsons in Kenilworth simpsonsrestaurant.co.uk
The Lecturer & College of the Winning Team
The lecturer of the winning team will win a specially selected knife set by chef knife specialists Flint & Flame. The college and catering department of the victorious College will also win a personalised PR package to ensure they maximise the opportunity the Challenge can provide to them.
All 10 teams who reach the final will receive a one year’s membership to the Craft Guild of Chefs and certificates.
The Challenge Final
This live final of the 2017/2018 Challenge will take place at 11:00am – 12:30pm on Wednesday 7th March in the Live Theatre of Hotelympia 2018, London. Hotelympia is the UK’s largest foodservice and hospitality event and the most important show for any professional wanting to gain access to the latest products, trends and thinking from across the hospitality sector.
Click here to visit the Hotelympia website